School Admission Appeals
St Agnes ACE Academy Timetable for organising and hearing Admissions Appeals 2017/18
This timetable is in line with the School Admission Appeals Code (1 February 2012).
Here is our timetable for organising and hearing appeals:
- There is a deadline for the lodging of appeals which allows appellants 20 school days from the date of notification that their application was unsuccessful to prepare and lodge their written appeal;
- Appellants are given 10 school days’ notice of their appeal hearing;
- This notice includes reasonable deadlines for appellants to submit additional evidence, for admission authorities to submit their evidence, and for the clerk to send appeal papers to the panel and parties;
- We ensure that decision letters are sent within 5 school days of the hearing wherever possible.
Our appeals timetable is published on our website by 28 February each year.
The Academy ensures that appeals lodged by the appropriate deadlines are heard within the following timescales:
- for applications made in the normal admissions round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals;
- for late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged;
Any appeals submitted after the appropriate deadline must still be heard, in accordance with our usual timescales.
Notifying appellants of the right to appeal and the appeal hearing:
When a parent is informed of a decision to refuse their child a place at a school for which they have applied, the following information is included:
- the reason why admission was refused;
- information about the right to appeal;
- the deadline for lodging an appeal and the contact details for making an appeal.
Parents are informed that, if they wish to appeal, they have to set out their grounds for appeal in writing. The grounds on which an appeal can be made are not allowed to be limited.
No later than 10 school days before the hearing, appellants are provided with written notification of the date of and arrangements for the hearing. The notification includes a deadline for the submission of any further evidence that was not sent with the initial appeal. Appellants are informed that any information or evidence not submitted by the deadline might not be considered at the appeal. They are asked whether they intend to call any witnesses or be represented at the hearing. Parents may waive their right to 10 school days’ notice of the hearing.
The Academy complies with reasonable requests from parents for information which they need to help them prepare their case for appeal.